Monday, September 30, 2019

Giving Back

I’ve been called a “serial volunteer” and believe me, it’s true. There are a number of reasons for this:
  1. My first volunteer gig was shelving books at my middle school library (just to be around the books) and I discovered how much I enjoy doing a task that is desperately needed.
  2. Volunteering is a great way to meet people.
  3. Many volunteer assignments can be physical and so I get a great workout at the same time.
    Project Host soup kitchen volunteering
  4. I learn something new with each experience. I’ve learned about nutrition, music, and sports, how to select wine, fold fancy napkins, write grants, make bruschetta, pull a draft beer, call bingo, plant a garden, paint (a wall), put up a tent, stack pumpkins, organize a silent auction, lots of doggie care, and, of course, the Dewey Decimal System.
  5. I’m passionate about missions I believe in.
So, when my work also commits to giving back, that’s pretty special for me. TCNA’s annual trade show, Coverings, is the preeminent event for the ceramic and natural stone industry in North America. With over 25,000 attendees, the show gives exhibitors much exposure. Part of the show is an Art Tile Courtyard that showcases boutique tile makers. For the past few years, TCNA has sponsored a display of doghouses creatively tiled by these artisans. The doghouses are on view during the show and then donated to a local animal charity to use for fundraising. The charity is also invited to participate by bringing adoptable puppies to the show. 

I had fun creating signage for this event, “Hot Dog!”
I created paw print stickers that we used to lay a path through the showroom to the puppies. Each sticker had a playful puppy pun. 
The courtyard was undoubtably the most popular exhibit of nine total miles of international tile and stone displays.

I also designed the graphics for the show booth, seen in this video that I pieced together as a quick thank you to everyone who worked so hard on a great show.



No comments:

Post a Comment