Friday, March 11, 2011

Science Design Portfolio

This collection of covers is a nice framework for discussing my years at Science. Besides managing the art department, I designed most of the covers, the news section, special reports, and poster projects. These covers reflect many of the special projects I worked on.


I'm especially proud of this cover which shows the first graphic representation of the AIDS virus.



Another first was the published Human Genome Map. This issue included a pull-out historical timeline of the project and a poster with the full mapping of the human genome. We produced an annual genome poster leading up to this. 


This issue needed a conceptual cover that reflected high-tech, international, biodiversity. I put together this photo collage from royalty-free images.



These next two covers both show a bit of foreshadowing that I might one day work in children's publishing. (Above) the theme is Jack Sprat and his wife for our obesity issue. (Below) utilizes the metaphor of the Red Queen from Alice in Wonderland. You can also see with these examples the redesign of the cover and my logo redesign. David Galchutt is the artist for both of these covers. See his reference letter for me in the right column of this blog.


The redesign of the logo allowed for a more creative approach to the logo use. Here, the logo is drawn as part of the cover art (the idea of a researcher's sketch pad).

No comments:

Post a Comment